Let’s face it – Halloween isn’t Halloween without some sweet treats. Unfortunately, sugar overload has a nasty downside. This year have your cake and eat it too – (pun intended) – without regret!
Here are some healthy alternatives that will keep you energized without those sugary side effects.
1. Strawberry – Ghosts
Recipe: Dip ’em in white chocolate. Boo.
2. Peanut Butter Pumpkins
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- peanut butter chips, for melting
- a couple squares of your favorite chocolate
Note: If you want, after attaching the chocolate stems on top of the pumpkin, you can also melt down some chocolate and paint on a jackolantern face with a small paintbrush or toothpick.
(Taken from thesmartcookieblog.com)
3. Ghoul Pops
Recipe: Take frozen bananas, dip them into orange juice and then shredded coconut. Don’t forget chocolate chips for the eyes and a raisin for the mouth!
4. Popcorn Balls
Place 4 cups of popcorn into the mixing bowl
Combine 1/4 cup agave nectar and 1/4 cup peanut butter or tahini in the saucepan. Set the heat to medium, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until the mixture becomes frothy and bubbly
Pour hot nectar and peanut butter or tahini over the popcorn in the bowl and mix well.
Allow to cool, and then form mixture into balls with your hands.
- Place the popcorn balls on wax paper and allow to set for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Witches Fingers
Gluten, egg, dairy and refined sugar-free
Makes 8 fingers
- 2 dates, chopped with pits removed + 1 Tb water
- 1/3 c. walnuts
- 1/3 c. almonds
- 1/3 c. cashews
- 1 Tb cacao powder
- 4 almonds, sliced in half
- In a food processor, blend dates and water until a rough paste is formed.
- Add nuts and cacao. Blend until a dough forms.
- Using 1 Tb of dough, form into finger shapes with hands.
- Place almond slice at the tip for fingernail.
- Chill for 15 minutes or devour immediately.
And, isn’t it true? – Any dessert is so much more rewarding when it’s followed by something like…