With an abundance of produce in its peak season, Farm to Fit is dishing out more than just meals. Check out our blog for tips about how to spice, spruce up and savor your fresh ingredients!
Our homemade ricotta recipe makes the perfect veggie dip:
- Add 1/4 cup lemon juice to 1 gallon of milk (nonfat milk for Farm to Fit Ricotta)
- Heat in a pot until it reaches 190 degrees, then let it sit until it separates.
- Strain the mixture with a fine china cap, mesh strainer, or cheese cloth (Note: The longer you strain the more dense the cheese will be, like paneer. We suggests 20 mins for lasagna or veggie dip.)
- Once you get it to desired thickness remove from the strainer and add herbs for extra flavor, if you like.
Make the most of your produce with modern-day pickling:
- Heat vinegar to a boil (apple cider or white) – enough to fill your jars
- Add your favorite herbs (Thyme, sage, rosemary work well. We even like to add cumin, especially when preserving carrots)
- Turn off the heat and let the herbs steep for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Add hot vinegar to a jar containing the vegetable of your choice.
- Seal tightly and let sit for one day.
This recipe is great for veggies like beets, radishes, peppers, cucumbers and carrots. If you want to preserve mushrooms, which we enjoy, remember to clean them by dipping them in boiling water before following the above instructions.