We’ll deliver the food—you deliver the sweat! Your summer health goals probably include exercise, so we gathered some pro tips from certified trainer Heidi Pa to help you out:
- Exercise machines, like treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, and steppers provide cardiovascular activity that benefits your health. If you are exercising for weight loss, you should consider the intensity of the activity and know that your body will adapt as you get stronger and more fit.
- Use a heart rate monitor to track your heart’s effort. Keep your heart rate above 65% of your max, but below 85% for an effective workout.
- Include a resistance training program for a minimum of two days a week. To maximize your calorie burn, use large muscle groups with exercises like squats, push-ups, and pull-ups.
- Keep your intensity up by selecting a moderate amount of weight and rest time between exercises under 30 seconds. The more muscles you move, the more calories are burned.
- Machine weights are great, especially for attempting heavier weights, but they usually only work one specific area. Free weights, dumbbells, barbells, and kettlebells allow for greater amount of movement and muscle involvement. Just be sure to pay attention while swinging that kettlebell!
Heidi Pa is a Certified Personal Trainer at Anytime Fitness in Lake Oswego, where you’ll find machine weights, free weights, personal training, and a studio with live group classes and virtual classes, accessible anytime.