The Kentucky Derby holds a special place in our hearts here at Farm to Fit. On May 5th we will be drinking Mint Juleps and donning our favorite and always fashionable seersuckers. But THIS year we will be Farm to Fitting our Juleps for a healthier take on this classic. So put on your Derby hats and get mixing!
G. Scott’s Mint Julep
- Fresh Mint
- Kentucky Bourbon, your choice (I am a fan of Bulleitt and Makers Mark)
- Crushed Ice (a manual ice crusher is our favorite for a vintage Derby feel, otherwise a rolling pin and kitchen towel work just as well)
- Pour 1/2 teaspoon of STEVIVA (our favorite, local all-natural sugar substitute) on 6-8 mint leaves in a sturdy pint glass.
- Add in a couple pieces of crushed ice and muddle (The back end of a wooden spoon works well if you don’t have a muddler).
- Add 2 ounces of Bourbon, 1 ounce of water and lots of crushed ice
- Transfer with a little shake into a julep glass and add a sprig of Mint for garnish
If you’re planning ahead for your Derby party and want to skip the endless muddling for day-of juleps, chop a bunch of fresh mint, add it to a simple syrup mixture (made with one tablespoon of Steviva and one cup of water) and let steep for days in your fridge. At party time all you have to do pour the mixture over crushed ice and add your favorite bourbon.