With flu season just around the corner, we find ourselves reaching for the alka-seltzer and dayquil at the first sight of fever. Neti pots are a great natural alternative to medication, but not for the faint of heart… And the last thing anyone wants is to give the dreaded cold to loved ones or co-workers alike. Read below to learn 5 healthy home remedies with citrus, just in time to prevent the sniffles!
- Feelin’ Phlegmy? For this remedy, try 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp. of honey and 1-2 tbsp. of lemon juice. Mix with hot water then drink. This Vitamin-C packed concoction is sure to soothe your throat and boost your immune system.
- Don’t starve a fever… Juice it! Get back to normal and spice up the above remedy with cream of tartar! Combine 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, 1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar, 2 1/2 cups of warm water, 1/2 tsp honey, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Combine these two recipes if you’re feeling really crummy. Click here to learn about cayenne’s hot health benefits.
- Orange-cha glad you’re feeling better?
Off the beaten path, this home remedy can help soothe a sore throat. All you need is himalayan salt and an orange. Soak the orange in salt water for 20 minutes, slice off the top, then poke holes in it. Add salt to the open flesh, replace the top, and place it in a bowl, then steam for 20 minutes. Eat the orange, drink the juice, go to bed, and feel better in the morning. It’s just that simple! And don’t worry, the orange still tastes great!
- Natural nyquil for adults 21+. Nighttime cough keeping you awake? Nasty flu causing you to toss and turn? This rum-fueled intensive home remedy will help you sleep easier. Also involving steam, this recipe calls for lemons, mint leaves, ginger and cayenne pepper. While not for children, this brew may be good enough to do the trick for us grownups!
- Clean house! Tired of smelly chemicals in your house? Want an alternative method that disinfects as well as the big brands? Check out a citrus option for your household cleaning needs. Best part: all you need is vinegar, your favorite citrus peels, herbs and a spray bottle!
WARNING: The healthy home remedies with citrus offered here are for educational purposes and are not meant to replace medical advice. Consult a medical profession before trying the above home remedies (or any home remedy/life hack on the internet for that matter.)